Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Odds and ends

1. I added my email address to my Blogger profile. Most of the people who really want to contact me have probably figured it out from digging up my comments in Haloscan, but I thought there should be an easier way. I don't know why I've never done this before.

2. Now that the movie of The Golden Compass is coming out, Catholic pundits are finally taking notice of Philip Pullman. Finally. After all that rigmarole about Harry Potter. Reading Mark Shea's blog, I found a link to a wonderful dissection of Pullman's literary sins. I once loved The Golden Compass, and I liked its sequel almost as much... and then I read the final volume. It was a crushing experience for a fourteen-year-old. For a whole day, I wandered around in a daze, wondering if my religion were a lie. I snapped out of that quickly - but I've loathed Philip Pullman ever since. This post from Against the Grain rounds up a lot of good Pullman articles, including one that yours truly wrote back in high school.

No comments: